Successful real estate transactions are typically the result of mutual co-operation between home sellers and their real estate agents. To achieve the highest sale price in the least amount of time, Team Brad Bird believes that sellers have some very important responsibilities:
- Maintain your property in the best condition possible and present a “ready to show” home. This responsibility continues until an offer is accepted and is firm.
- Make your home available for showing at all reasonably requested times. Seriously consider having a lock box on your door — this will increase showings by 75%.
- If you have tenants, notify them of your decision to sell and provide your agent with all tenant’s names, phone numbers.
- Let your agent know if you are leaving town on business or vacation and forward all phone numbers and contact information if you plan to be away from for more than 48 hours.
- Agree to discuss reducing your list price if, after 60 days and with your agent’s concerted marketing efforts, your house has not been sold.
- Be open with your agent about any disappointments or concerns you may have so these can be addressed without compromising the sales effort.
- Market your property to family, friends, co-workers, neighbours, and acquaintances. You never know what some will say and this sometimes results in sales leads. If anyone shows any interest, be sure to tell your agent right away.
- Minimize the impact of pet odours and mess through frequent cleaning and, if necessary, remove your of pet during showings.
- Notify your agent if, after signing the sales agreement, any legal matters arise including lawsuits, liens, finances, or changes to marital status.
- Ensure that, once the sales agreement with your agent is signed, you do not rent or accept any new tenants on the property.
This is not an exhaustive list. No doubt others may have more to add – and please feel free to share! The more we all know and learn, the better our real estate experience will be.
If you have any questions about this list or about real estate, please connect with Team Brad Bird anytime. We’re here to help!!